Tuesday, July 12, 2011

My Friend Benson


The past 14 months have been a little rough for McKay. Benson, from day one, has been a sweet smiling, easy-going guy. He is delightful to be around and has been lots of fun. Not so much for McKay though.
During Benson's first few months of life, we would hear McKay plotting as he played with his toys. Though his language was stilted, his intentions were clear. "Hurt, brother. Hit, brother." We'd often hear mumbled under his breath. Needless to say, I didn't leave the two of them alone together, ever.
Once Benson reached about a year old, things began to improve. McKay would tolerate being in the same room without threatening bodily harm. He began asking with real concern, "Is Benson alright?" anytime Benson would be napping. There was a light at the end of this tunnel we began to hope.
And, just today, we reached a huge milestone. Over the past few weeks we've noticed the boys playing side by side, with the same toys, even handing toys back and forth. Then, today the boys were in the family room, playing with cars together. I was getting ready in the bathroom, cautiously listening for screaming, when Benson came around the corner to find me. He began playing next to me for a moment, when, around the corner came McKay. McKay looked at me and asked, "Mom, could you tell my friend Benson that I want him to come play with me?"
Tears welled up in my eyes. More than anything, I want my boys to be friends. My brother, Daniel, is just 15 months younger than me. He and I were best friends growing up. I honestly don't remember ever not being happy that he was around. I have always hoped our boys would love each other that way too. Perhaps there's hope after all!
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Sarah said...

That's so sweet! How wonderful! My kids have turned a corner also. G is old enough to realize she's a "baby" and we have to teach her how to play instead of destryoing legos etc...so now he sas "come on maggie, i'll teach you how to play" and maggie says "i love to pay pegos!!"

Becky said...

Oh my gosh! I almost started crying too! That's huge!!!

Vermont 6 said...

I was sure that it would happen at some point, yea! I love those sweet boys, and Benson is such a darling, how could anyone not want to be his friend, he could win anyone over, especially someone as sweet and precious as his brother! Can't wait to see you - tell the boys Nana sent them a package and it should be there tomorrow!