Friday, September 16, 2011

First Words


Benson is beginning to talk! He's not exactly articulate yet... At this point, he often sounds more like he's sneezing than speaking. He does some sort of a closed-mouth snort but his tongue is moving. It's difficult to explain. Perhaps he'll be a great vantrilaquist one day. In the meantime, it takes a practiced ear to realize he's "speaking" but he definitely is.

Occationally he does open his mouth to speak. He first word was, of course, "Daddy", which is always spoken with much enthusiam. He also LOVES trains and goes around all day saying "choo-choo" and giggling gleefully when he actually finds a train.

Yesterday he and I were reading a Thomas the Train book. We got to a picture of Percy. I pointed at the little green engine and said, "look Benson, it's Percy". He smiled and said, "Cercy!" over and over again.

Now I must point out a little irony here. The little tyke is naming the Sodor engines but every time I walk into the room he runs to me and says, "Daddy!". No attempt at Mommy at all. Just "Daddy!". But, he always says it so happily and it's usually followed by a big hug and kiss, so I don't really mind. :)

Other new words include "Kay" for McKay, "Doggie", "Please" (sounds like cheese), "Tank too" for Thank you, and "All Done".

He's really into animal sounds right now as well. The animals, according to Benson:
Sheep- "BAAAAAAH" (with extra emphasis on the AH)
Cow- bOOOO
Chicken- Bbbbbbb buh buh
Monkey- who who ah ah
Owl-Boo

Maybe tomorrow we'll spend a little more time on "Mommy".
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Vermont 6 said...

Sooo sweet - love these boys - I'm excited I come in like 2 and a half weeks - I get to hear those words in person!! Yea for me!

Becky said...

Adorable. :) Let's get some of this on film shall we? I need to hear his little voice.