Thursday, November 10, 2011

Muffs and other random thoughts

Yesterday morning while Benson was still asleep and McKay was watching a show, I hopped into the shower. Once in, I realized I didn't have my shower puff or a washcloth in the kids bathroom so I grabbed McKay's puff and began using it.

About two seconds later I heard the bathroom door open and McKay's voice authoritatively say, "Hey Mom, don't use my new muff that Nanna bought for me. It's my own special muff, so don't use it, okay?"

"Ok," I replied. I mean, technically I wasn't using a "muff" anyway.

In preparation for McKay's nap today, I sent him in to go potty. He went into the bathroom, then I heard the toilet lid lift up and crash back down, followed by McKay's wailing.

I said from the other room, "Are you ok? What happened?" to which McKay responded through tears, "The toilet lid fell on my pee-er."

Ouch.

Yesterday the boys and I went and got flu shots. Today I feel horrible. It feels like a miniature dose of the flu. I am reminded of two years ago when I got my first ever flu shot. I remember feeling badly then, too. It was after that flu shot that I swore them off forever, deciding I'd take my chances with the flu.

The next year I got the flu. I felt horrible. Three full days in bed feeling disgusting. So, this year I opted for the flu shot. And now I feel horrible again. Grrr.....

As we were leaving the clinic after getting our flu shots, a lady was being taken back by the nurse for an appointment. As she walked past us McKay looked up at her and said, "the nurse will give you a squirt in your arm, then you will be all better too!"

This morning I stepped out of the shower and was drying off. McKay had just come into the bathroom and was talking to me about Benson. All of the sudden I heard a strange "plop" behind me in the shower. I turned around and looked at the very spot I'd been standing in only a few moments before. A huge spider had just fallen from the ceiling to that very spot. We're talking big black, thick body and legs, and hairy too. A few moments earlier and it would have landed right on my head.

I'm not kidding.

I managed to half-choke the scream that unconsciously rose in my throat. I made McKay close the shower door and watch to make sure the spider didn't escape. I grabbed the poison and gave it a healthy spray. It didn't seem much affected by the stuff. When it came running at McKay and I, I knew we needed reinforcements.

I called my neighbor, Dave, who was just on his way to work. He knows a little of my arachnophobia and gallantly came over to rescue us. I felt a little ridiculous but some things are too much for me to handle. And why does this always happen when BJ is away? I think spiders can smell fear.


3 comments:

Sarah said...

good stuff:) what size was that spider? you should ask mary about the one she recently killed in her house. major eww.

There's only one Me said...

RACHEL, You are hilarious! I really have to start reading your blog more often.

Okay, poor McKay and his little pee-er. That spider story is one of my biggest fears. ~shutters~

Sara K. said...

Dude, Rachel! One time I was getting in the shower and I put my foot in the tub and I stepped on something large and hard and I thought maybe it was one of my nephew's toy cars (this is back when I lived at home) and I lifted my foot and looked down and it was THE BIGGEST SPIDER I HAVE EVER SEEN IN MY LIFE! Similar to the one you described. I mean I stepped on it, barefoot, with most of my body weight and it was not squished in the slightest. I quickly washed it down the drain (which took a long time because it was ridiculously huge) and then I never took a shower again. Just kidding, but I was very paranoid every time I showered for a few months after that. I was quite shaken up by the whole experience.

So, yeah, I feel your pain.