Sunday, July 1, 2012

Sassy

We have been working on McKay's attitude lately. He struggles with controlling his frustration and ends up saying (or shouting) more than he ought to. It has been a bit of a parenting challenge lately.

For example, a few days ago I was making popcorn for BJ to deliver to some offices around town. McKay tasted some of it but didn't like the taste. I tried to reason with him but he was mad about it, crying that it didn't taste right, saying he "wasn't going to be friends with any of his grown up friends anymore", and even beginning to shout at me to "fix" the popcorn. I tried to be calm and reason with him but after enough of his fussing I couldn't take it anymore.

As he was storming into the next room I said, "McKay, just knock it off." He turned on his heel, spun around, and pointing his finger at me shouted, "No Mom, YOU knock it off!" My jaw literally fell open. I was livid but my mom, also standing in the kitchen, was doubled over with laughter. She said through her giggles, "He sounds just like you at that age". Great.

Note: I was, admittedly, a very feisty child. I got in trouble often for shouting at my parents and ended up with pepper on my tongue multiple times. In my defense, I was a pretty easy teenager and haven't given my parents a lot of trouble since those early days, so I'm really hoping the same will apply to McKay.

However...

After his outburst I stormed after him and he got a spray of vinegar in his mouth, which he hates. He actually asks to be spanked rather than have the vinegar spray. Later in the day he got a second spray for similar behavior. After he had been put in his room and had calmed down I went in and spoke to him. I said, "McKay, you had to have two vinegar sprays today. Why did you have to have two sprays?" He hung his head down and said very mournfully, "Because I was very, very sassy."

No comments: