Friday, September 11, 2009

Hi Ho, Hi Ho,

It's off to work I go! In what can only be described as a providential turn of events, I am now an Assistant Professor of Voice at Transylvania University, a liberal arts university in Lexington.

It really has been an interesting process in all regards. Interesting (and rather amazing) in the way the job literally fell in my lap; interesting (and inspiring) the way the Lord's hand has been in the many details of the process, particularly in finding great childcare for McKay; and interesting (and very exciting) the opportunities this provides me professionally. I had always hoped to one day teach at the university level, but I never anticipated the opportunity would come so soon. I will be directing the university's Women's Choir and teaching voice majors and minors, all of which constitute my "dream job".

Deciding to take the position was not easy. Though it is something I'd always wanted to do, I never anticipated working while my children were little. However, it has worked out about as perfectly as possible. I am able to teach choir and lessons back-to-back, so I am only gone 2 mornings a week. As to childcare, due to a huge change in BJ's class schedule, he gets to stay home with McKay about 3/4 of the time I'm gone! The remainder of the time McKay will be staying with friends in the neighborhood and ward.

Thank you so much to all of my dear friends who are helping care for him in my absence. We have been truly blessed to find many wonderful friends here that, in the absence of family, support and help us like family. I love you and I'm grateful each day for you .

Without sharing all the details, I'll just say that I feel very strongly that I am supposed to be at the university this year. I don't fully understand why but I do know that it is right and that McKay will be alright too. I'm excited for the year ahead and hope you'll all be able to come and hear a concert!

10 comments:

WhiteEyebrows said...

That's awesome!

I always feel like it's a little bit of a let-down for SAHMs to spend so much time getting so much education and becoming so amazing, and then not get to share it anymore after they transition to full time spit-up patrol.

Sounds like a great opportunity to be at home and get paid to do what you love as well.

Sarah said...

That's GREAT that BJ is able to stay home with him so much! What a blessing. I'm excited to hear about all your adventures. I'm sure they will all fall in love with you and I know you'll be an influence for good. Good luck with everything! Oh, did you ever decide what to have them call you? Mrs./Professor/Master Cox?

Lety Cox said...

I'm so happy for you. When is the first concert?

Lora said...

Congrats! What a wonderful opportunity for you! and to only have to work 2 morning a week, Fabulous!
Let me know I can do anything for you guys.
Very exciting! Enjoy!

Alisa and Crowells said...

Wow congrats Rach! That's so awesome. You didn't offer to teach Sight Singing 101--you know that's the best course out there. Just kidding. You're going to do such a great job! I'm way excited for you. It sounds like it all fell into place, not just by coincidence. :)

Ashley said...

THAT IS AWESOME. I'm so excited for you. I wish I could see you in action!
I think it's great for kids to be with other people regularly. My boys are so well adjusted, they are happy anywhere.

Cassie said...

Congrats! I'm so excited for you!

Becca said...

That is so exciting Rachel!! :) Seriously so happy for you. God is in the details.

love you

Bonnie said...

That is awesome! What a great opportunity! I can't wait to hear more about it.

Vickie Kreider said...

Rachel, you are an amazingly talented woman and God has given you this wonderful opportunity. McKay is a blessed child and will be well taken care of, Heavenly Father is watching over you all! Keep that beautiful voice blessing others and your great musical gifts helping others to achieve, too. That's where the joy is, in serving others, and you'll be doing so much for your students and all the people they will bless in the future through music. Music touches souls, not just hearts! love, your proud aunt v