Sunday, April 29, 2012

Did you just say what I thought you said?

So, this afternoon, Benson and I were heading over to Grandma Mackey's house. He was doing his regular:

Jabber jabber jabber "car!", and Jabber jabber jabber "tree!"

Suddenly, he paused and pointed to a red car parked in the neighbor's driveway and said as clear as a bell:

"I see a car!"

Needless to say, I was floored! It was all I could do to not simply drop the child from sheer amazement.

So we were are Grandma Mackey's house and just about to head home when he piped right up again:

"I like choo choo!"
Immediately he realized that wasn't correct and corrected himself and said,
"I like that choo choo"

In all my language development classes I took, they taught that this was normal for second and third children; however, when it's your own child, it really takes you by surprise.

I'm having a difficult time convincing Rae that this actually happened... so dear, faithful blog-followers, I can use all the support I can get!

4 comments:

Vermont 6 said...

I knew that Dad's theory was probably right - he has stood by the idea that one day Benson will just start talking in sentences like the joke about the little boy that after never saying a word he says one day when he is three years old I don't like lumps in my oatmeal! He just hasn't had many objections so far!

Becky said...

That's so fun! I want to hear little Boo talk! If you can get it on a video any time, I'd love to hear it! :)

Joshwa said...

"I have had no witness save thy word [...] nevertheless I believe [...] according as thou hast said."

That's how much I believe you, Beej. (Can you name the chapter of this verse from The Book of Mormon?)

Vickie Kreider said...

Mary, the middle child of three, barely spoke and then suddenly she spoke in sentences! Wow, what a surprise! I knew she understood everything we were saying to her but after all Sarah, her older sister was always talking and Mary saw no need to say anything because it would simply be redundant as Sarah had already made the request for such and such; or told us all about their latest adventure et al, so I suppose Mary didn't see the need! Her eyes told us she was listening and watching but it was a bit of a shock to suddenly hear sentences from someone who had been so quiet!