Sunday, July 28, 2013

You'll Run

For my darling McKay.
Love, Mom

You'll Run

Did you see, My Son, the tear in my eye, did you see, my son, the tear
When you said, "I'll go to school very soon" and I said, "Oh yes, very soon, my dear."
"You'll wear a cast when you go to school", though my voice was nonchalant,
Your reply confirmed what my heart fears, "But Mom, how will I run?!"

You'll run, My Son, every day of your life,
You'll run, My Son, from your chair.
Though for a time, your feet will be still,
You'll run a race beyond compare.

You'll choose each day which path will be yours,
You'll choose the voices you heed.
You'll run each day as you face your fears.
You'll run to God in need.

You'll run as you learn and sense and grow,
And your pain, your strife will teach you to know,
What it is to long for what you can't reach.
Empathy is a lesson experience must teach.

So you'll run, My Son, even from a wheelchair,
As your heart begins to grow,
You'll run, My Son, though the stillness confines,
You'll run as you come to know-

That your Heavenly Father is there, My Son,
Your Heavenly Father is there.
And someday very soon you'll run again
With strength that was not there,
Until you sat for a while, My Son,
In the classroom of a chair.

Though I long to see you run, My Son,
Though I long to see you free,
I know that God who watches o'r us each day,
Doesn't leave it up to me.

For He knows, My Son, that to be all we can
To become just like His Son,
He knows my Son, to become like Him,
Sometimes we must sit when we'd rather run.


2 comments:

Shauntel said...

This is beautiful.

Tears.

Vickie Kreider said...

Wow, this was beautiful! Thank you for sharing and I love your sweet family! My thoughts and prayers are with you all during this busy and eventful year!
Love,
Vickie