Sunday, August 31, 2014

Wild Child

Someone said to me when Lily was an infant, "Oh, you named her Lily?! Every Lily I've ever known has been a Spitfire!"

Yep! Seriously. She is cute as a button and crazier than my two boys combined. Mostly McKay and Benson just end up standing on the sidelines with their mouths hanging open as they watch her in action. Or they start screaming, "Mom, mom look at what Lily's doing now!!"

She had a particularly impressive two weeks prior to her 2nd birthday. It all began with the stunt pictured below. I had unbuckled her and brought her into the house while I carried in loads of groceries. About two trips into the unloading I entered the house and let out a scream! There was Lily, literally SWINGING from the CHANDELIER and laughing in delight! Her tiny hands were clinging to it and she was swinging like a little monkey above the kitchen table. Apparently she'd climbed onto the table in order to reach the light. By the time I grabbed my camera she'd partially let go but you can still get the idea!


A few days later I was cleaning the kitchen and turned around just in time to see her finish unscrewing the lid to the white-out. As I went running toward her saying, "No Lily, Stop!", she stabbed the tip of it right into the middle of her forehead and rubbed it all over her forehead and eyes. 

In case you are wondering, NOTHING gets white-out off of skin, except peeling it off. Lily's first eyebrow wax ensued. 

About the time we got the last of the White-Out off, Lily and I were in the bathroom while I was getting ready for the day. As usual she was going through the bathroom drawers and came upon an old container of nail polish. Once again, I looked over just in time to see her open the lid and poke it straight between her eyes and then rub it into her eyes. 

Did we learn nothing from the White-Out?

Luckily we think Lily still has her eyesight. I consider this no small miracle.

During the same week she also found, opened, and ate Rolaids, Advil, and NyQuil. Scared me to death. And really, I'm not as inattentive as I sound. She's just that mischievous and that good at opening child-proof containers.

A few days after all of this we were driving along when McKay started shouting from the back seat, "Mom, mom, look at Lily!!" 

I looked in the rear-view mirror just in time to see her rear end disappearing over the back of her carseat as she dove head first into the back seat. She had somehow wiggled her way out of her toddler carseat, with all it's buckles and harnesses! I still don't know exactly how she does it but she can escape and does so whenever she feels she's had enough!

The other day she dressed herself in McKay's clothes, as seen below. She was so proud of herself but I laughed and laughed because of the inscription on the shirt. "I call the shots." That's Lily! Youngest in the family but this little cutie gets an idea in her head and goes for it! She keeps me on my toes!  


No comments: