Friday, December 16, 2016

Lessons from the Stomach Flu

Two days ago I had "the throw-ups" as we call them around here. I had it bad. I haven't been so sick in a long time. It was miserable, nasty, and debilitating. I couldn't take care of the kids at all. My mom was also sick the same day, but thankfully Sue came downstairs and rescued me, helping with the kids and otherwise saving my life.

At the end of the day when I was starting to feel better, McKay said to me, "Mom, I liked today, even though you were sick. You were so nice!"

Well, basically I let them get away with murder because I was too sick to care. "Sure, eat some candy, just get some for everyone." "Yes, have a fruit snack, just give one to the baby too." "Yes, you can watch another show." Etc. It was a mommy fail kind of day.

And yet, it wasn't. I was so debilitated all I could do was lay helplessly on the couch. Yet my kids still wanted to be right there with me. They layed next to me while they watched TV and I cuddled them. At night our bedtime routine took longer because I was too tired to scold or threaten, but I think we all enjoyed it more too. I read more slowly and listened more carefully. I laid next to them in bed and soaked in their love and warmth.

McKay's comment has made me think. Do I rush through too many of the routines that should be treasured? Sure there has to be structure too, and I think we're pretty good at that, but sometimes just slowing down and being together is most important. It is a lesson I've taken to heart and one I'm sure I'll need to be reminded of again (though hopefully not with the stomach flu). Still, I feel grateful for the reminders and the moments when my children teach me.

No comments: