Friday, December 16, 2016

Light the World

During the month of December this year the LDS church is challenging everyone, everywhere, to Light the World for the 25 days leading up to Christmas. Each day has a theme related to following the Savior and some suggestions for how to light the world each day.

Our family has taken the challenge and it has made our Christmas one of the most meaningful ever! I have felt true joy each day as I personally focus on a specific aspect of the Savior's ministry and what I can do to serve or help someone else in a specific way.

It has spurred us to actions that we often only contemplate but don't actually do. We've donated money to the Utah Food Bank, delivered a meal to a family in need, sung our favorite Primary Songs to each other, and shared our favorite scriptures on facebook, among others.

Tonight as I was quickly reviewing facebook I realized what a wonderful feeling it was to read post after post about the wonderful ways people are lighting the world everywhere. Tonight my feed was filled with wonderful, uplifting thoughts and acts of service. Media is usually so full of criticism and complain. It was amazing to read about service, beautiful Christmas music, and how others everywhere are making a difference for good.

As I read tonight I remembered a blessing Dad gave me as I entered my first year at BYU. He described a picture he'd had come to his mind during the blessing. As he pictured me attending BYU, living with roommates, and meeting new people on campus he described it as lights touching one another, connecting and brightening their surroundings. Light the World is exactly this in action. What a beautiful Christmas gift!

No comments: