Wednesday, January 9, 2013

RED 5

This year our bishop asked everyone in our ward to participate in a program called RED 5 (Read Every Day). It is a program to read 5 pages of the Book of Mormon each day. We were presented with the program a few days before Christmas with the invitation to begin the program on January 1. I have to admit that a spent a fair amount of time between Christmas and New Years wondering how on earth I would be able to keep this commitment I had made to our bishop.

I know it sounds terrible to say that I couldn't imagine making time for a more serious scripture study program. However, the demands on my time with my three little ones are so constant. I feel like I am running from one need to the next all day long. Not to mention the teaching that I do and the housework that ALWAYS needs to be done. I kept thinking to myself, "How can I do this when I run around all day? I never even sit down." I made it a matter of prayer and one day I realized...I do sit down to feed the baby multiple times a day. I can't talk or sing to her while she eats or she gets too distracted, so I read instead.

It has been a great blessing already and we're only 9 days in. I love the beginning of the Book of Mormon. Within the first chapters, Nephi--valiant, bold, and faithful Nephi--sees one of the most beautiful and merciful visions in all of scripture. He gives a powerful witness of the Bible and the Book of Mormon. He shares some of the most important events in this history of the world. As I read this time, particularly through chapter 13 & 14 I was amazed at the scope of his vision. All my life as I've read the Book of Mormon I've often been a little envious of Nephi for the things he saw. Today as I was reading, it hit me, he shared his vision so that we could "see", at least in our mind's eye and in our hearts, the things that he saw. He recorded it so that we, a few thousand years later, could know as he knew and feel as he felt the love of God.

1 Nephi 13:40 is in reality a two-sentence description of the purpose of the Book of Mormon. It (the Book of Mormon) "shall make known to all kindreds, tongues, and people, that the Lamb of God is the Son of the Eternal Father, and the Savior of the world; and that all men must come unto him, or they cannot be saved."

I know those words are true. Jesus Christ is the Son of God and the Savior of the world. I'm grateful for the Book of Mormon that testifies of Him. I look forward to feeling His love more constantly as I read each day.

1 comment:

Christy said...

I read while I nurse too. :)