Monday, January 13, 2014

Tattled

Today as I picked up Benson Boy from Coop, my friend Allison who was hosting coop said, "Oh Benson said the cutest thing today during lunch. When I gave him his macaroni and cheese he said, "My Mommy and Daddy sing to me when I eat."
Allison then asked if we sing around the dinner table. I think she was picturing some version of the Von Trapps but I couldn't help but burst out laughing.

We do sing to our kids while they eat, but it's not actually for their enjoyment...it's a punishment. 

Our kids hate it when we sing. In fact, they basically won't allow it. We are allowed a few quiet songs at bedtime but if I even begin to hum a few bars, everyone starts shouting and crying. 

Well, recently I've decided we need to foster a little more independence in Benson. He is such a sweetheart but really wants me to do almost everything for him still. He makes me dress him, likes me to be feed him, and someone always has to accompany him to the bathroom. With his 4th birthday around the corner it's getting a bit old. 

So, the other morning when Benson said, "Mom I need you to feeeeeeed me", as he always does I had a stroke of genius.
"I'll feed you," I said, "But if Mommy feeds you then Mommy gets to sing."
I broke out into a ridiculous version of "The Hills Are Alive with the Sound of Music". After two spoonfuls of cereal he couldn't stand it anymore and shooed me away. He finished feeding himself the rest of the cereal and a new standard was set. 
Now when he asks to be fed he immediately says, "But are you going to sing?!?" 
The answer is yes and that usually convinces him to feed himself. 
I had always hoped my music would have persuasive, compelling power. However, I can honestly say I never anticipated it affecting my children in quite this way. :) Here's to the power of music!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

This kills me! Way to go with a creative solution, Rach :)

Riss said...

Haha, this is hilarious. Those little stinkers will appreciate your beautiful voice someday!

Christy said...

HAHAHAHA! That is so funny!

Cassie said...

That's just the saddest thing ever! You and BJ with your voices and your kids don't want you to sing? The rest of us are doomed! :)