Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Doctrine from a 5 year old

This morning McKay, Benson and I were reading the Old Testament scripture reader for scripture study. At the beginning of the reader before we begin Genesis there is a short section that talks about what happened in the premortal life. In simple terms it explains that 2 plans were presented to the hosts of Spirits who lived there with Heavenly Father before we came to earth.
Jesus presented a plan that would allow everyone to make choices and have agency. He offered himself as a sacrifce to atone for the sins of mankind and provide a way for them to return to Heavenly Father's presence. Then it described Satan's plan: that Satan would force all men to choose the right and there would be no agency, All men would be forced to return back to live with Heavenly Father.

I asked the boys, "So which plan was better?"

They replied, "Jesus' plan".

"Why was Satan's plan bad?" I asked.

McKay thought for a minute and said, "Because we would all be slaves."

Then I thought about it for a minute. I had never thought of it in those terms before.

"Wow, McKay, you are exactly right." And he was!

1 comment:

cc said...

Kids just amaze me! I taught this same lesson a few weeks ago to my Sunbeams and was amazed at their comments! We could all learn a lot from these little ones!
So fun to read!