Sunday, January 19, 2014

"I Need You"

I spend a lot of time with these two funny guys and their little sister. They make me laugh, they keep me busy, they run my life, and sometimes they drive me a little nuts. But they also teach me every day.

A couple of months ago it was past their bedtime and they kept coming out of their room. Eventually Benson fell asleep but McKay just kept wandering out. I was not a little exasperated to walk him into his room for the 6th time that evening. As I laid the covers over him he said to me, "Oh mom, I just need you." 

His comment stopped me in my tracks. I sat next to his bed. This very independent little boy took my hand in his small one and fell asleep, holding my hand.

As I held his little hand and watched him drift so peacefully to sleep, I felt the Spirit whisper this profound lesson to me. So often I think of these children from my perspective. I love them. I need them. They make MY life. But as I listened, the Spirit reminded me, "These little ones need you too. They need the best you have to give in every respect. Their world is very small and their mom is at the center of it." 

It was an important reminder that McKay, Benson, and Lily need me. They need the very best I have to give. They need someone who will teach them about a loving Heavenly Father. They need someone who will be patient with them. They need someone whose love will teach them how to love and whose example will teach them how to live. 

Motherhood is a tall order but because the Lord loves us and trusts us, he sends us his spirit children to be nurtured, taught, and loved by us. Even in the stress and fatigue of it all, I'm so grateful that my children need me. It's good to be needed.


1 comment:

Vermont 6 said...

You are a great Mom and they adore you - thanks for sharing such an intimate moment between you and the sweetest grandchildren in the world! I love all of you and hope that you know that.