Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Zicam

It seems that ever since we brought a child into our home, we have been perpetually sick. These days we go from one dreaded disease to another! Just a few weeks ago I was on antibiotics for a sinus infection that had lasted a month and now, this morning, I woke up with the tell-tale signs of a cold coming on. Give me a break!
In my attempt to ward off yet another lengthy string of illness that could keep us quarantined for another couple of weeks, I turned to my faithful friend, Zicam. My relationship with Zicam began a few years ago back when the only Zicam option was the melt-in-your-mouth or try-not-to-throw-up-while-you-choke-them-down variety. I endured these until I made a wonderful discovery--Zicam nasal gel! Hooray! No more nasty taste! The gel and I have been faithful friends ever since. However, BJ recently announced to me that Zicam nasal gel has been proven to deaden your sense of smell. Oh Great!
Well, not wanting to lose my trusty sniffer, I thought I'd try the new Zicam chewables. They look harmless enough. Just a little strawberry square, practically a starburst. WRONG! It's agony in chewable form. The strawberry flavor lasts for the first 2.3 chews and then it's like chewing on chalky, bitter, nearly-dry cement. BLAH! The only way to make it through them is distraction. Doing the dishes, counting from 100 backwards, plucking my eyebrows, anything to keep my mind from the taste at hand. As if this isn't bad enough, as a final zinger, they don't allow you to eat or drink anything for 15 minutes. So, the flavor lingers as your stomach turns, trying to figure out what to do with the strawberry-cement you've just launched at it. Right now my stomach is threatening a counter-attack.
You know, a sense of smell really is highly over-rated.

7 comments:

Loretta Valenta said...

LOL! I have never tried the stuff but I think you've convinced me that I don't want to! The commercials about it sound so enticing too! Sorry your stomach and taste buds are so unhappy!

Sierra said...

I use the Zicam nasal gel all the time! Uhoh...

Brittany and Daniel said...

Hi you guys, I was looking at the 99class reunion stuff and found that ya'll have a blog...yeah!! McKay is SO CUTE! I love his eyes. Hope to see you guys at the reunion

Sarah said...

Oh you poor thing! Not again! We seem to have gotten sick a lot more than usual this year too. I SWEAR we just got over the swine flu or something...Have you tried the Zicam spray? We don't use anything else. Also Aireborne is very good, and something a little harder to find called "Oscillococcinum" which tastes like CANDY! Google it.

Becky said...

Hey, Dad's lived most of his life without a sense of smell and he's turned out okay. :)

Christy said...

Oh no! I just hope you'll be better by Wednesday!!! Maybe some Costco bread will help. Don't worry...it's on the way. :)

Lety Cox said...

I hope you're feeling better. Love, Lety