Tuesday, December 6, 2011

The Daily Tantrum

Well I don't know who ever coined the phrase "Terrible Twos" but they must have never raised a three-year-old because two-year-olds got nothin' on the three-year-olds.

At our house, we have a "Daily Tantrum". Yes, it even has a name. McKay wakes up at 6:30 every morning and by 1:00pm he has HAD IT.

(Insert tantrum here)

We now have a tantrum routine. When he starts his screaming fit, I calmly say, "you may go to your room until you calm down. Benson and Mommy don't want to listen to screaming."

Recently, McKay has been sending himself to his room when the screaming begins. That helps some.

Benson mostly just stares in shocked horror. You'd think he'd be used to it by now.

Today's edition began like this:

We arrived home from a friends house where the kids had been decorating Christmas cookies and having a wonderful time. McKay was exhausted but when I suggested taking a short rest he flew into his "daily tantrum".

(Insert screaming and gushing tears)

I calmly said, "You may calm down and play for a few minutes while I put Benson to bed or you can stay in your room and cry."

(More screaming)

So, I put Benson to bed and returned to assist McKay. When I opened his door he glared at me, with tears still streaming and said, "Zook what you've done to me, Mom! I'm SO SAD! Zook what you've done! I am SO disappointed in you!"

At least I know he listens to me.

5 comments:

Vermont 6 said...

Still laughing - oh my, that kid is so funny! Thanks for sharing - I loved the McKay quote - just amazing!

Sarah said...

Hahaha. That is excellent. Sorry for the tantrums. I've heard 3 is harder than 2 but I don't want to think about that. :)

Lora said...

That is so funny! I love kids!

Bonnie said...

That is the truth. 3-year-olds are a piece of work when it comes to tantrums. Though it may be just a boy thing. Leah has spectacular tantrums already and she's not even 2. Heaven help us.

ManiacalPhysicist said...

I just laughed so hard that I cried :)