Thursday, December 15, 2011

Letters

In this day of digital everything, I appreciate more and more a hand-written note. One of my favorite things about the Christmas season is the influx of mail we receive. It means so much to hold a letter in your hands.

Lately we've received a couple of letters with particular meaning. Each one brought tears to my eyes, especially because the feelings each expressed are the way I feel about each of these wonderful people. At the risk of being too personal, I am going to document them here as I want to remember them for years to come.

From Becky, Todd, and Rachel (A Thank You Note at Thanksgiving):

"Thank you so much for having us for Thanksgiving! It was so nice to spend time in your home with you and your cute little boys. Thank you for your hospitality-the delicious meals. rearranging your schedules and rooms for us, and for your kindness! Hope to see you again."
-Rachel

"Thank you so much for inviting us into your home and taking such good care of us. You're both amazing, and kind, and comfortable. This has been the best Thanksgiving break in years. You guys are the best!"
-Todd

"Thanks for having me and my friends for Thanksgiving. My family is the best part of me. Thanks for letting me share that. Love you!"
-Becky

From Elder Anderson, our missionary friend here in Nicholasville:

"Dear BJ and Rachel,
Where to even begin! Thank you so much for the love, kindness, and hospitality you've shown me during my time here in the Nicholasville ward. Having the privilege to come to know your family and to see your growth in the Gospel has been a tremendous testimony builder to me. I cannot thank both of you enough for the example you have been to me and the members of the Nicholasville Ward. As I have witnessed your faith grow, my faith has grown. Thank you, Brother Cox, for magnifying your priesthood, and thank you, Sister Cox, for taking upon yourself the errand of angels. And thank you both for making your home a Heaven on Earth. I never thought it would be possible to come to love someone as much as I've come to love your family. I have every intention of staying in touch with your family, plus i know the relationships one acquires while on their mission will last for eternities. BJ and Rachel, never allow Satan to bind your tongues. Share what you know to be true with boldness and love. In the words of that great missionary Paul; Fight the good fight, finish your course, and keep the faith. Shall we not go on in so great a cause! The Lord loves you and so do I."
-Elder Anderson

From Elder Ahern, his companion:
"Dear Cox Family,
I want to thank you so much for everything that you have done for us. I have grown to love you all so much. I've enjoyed every minute of my time spent in your home and I want to thank you for the love that you have shown me. You make me feel like part of the family and my family back home has heard a lot about you, nothing but good things, hahaha! I want to thank you for having us over for Thanksgiving. It really meant a lot to me because of the fact that it was my first major holiday away from home and I was worried I would get homesick. Celebrating Thanksgiving in your home was perfect because I have come to love you as my family...kind of like a home away from home. You are too amazing and I know I still have some time here but it's going to be super difficult when I do go. I could go on but just know that I love you all so much. Have a wonderful Christmas season!"
-Elder Ahern



1 comment:

Vermont 6 said...

Thanks for sharing their notes - it helps to know that there are people there in Nicholasville that love and appreciate you - we miss you so much and long for a time when we are not so far apart from you - thanks for loving those missionaries I know their families are thankful for people like you who love their sons when they are far away, any time, especially during the holidays though. Love you!