Monday, December 12, 2011

Everyday Angels

The last few weeks have been very busy. December always is. Especially so for musicians, it seems. BJ and I love performing at Christmas time and feel so blessed to share beautiful messages about the Savior's birth during this time of year.

Performing has become challenging though, since each time we sing or rehearse, we have to figure out what to do with the kids. Especially since McKay still hates our singing. Really, he does. He covers his ears and shouts at the top of his lungs, "Stop Practicing!" until it stops.

Last evening was our last big concert of the Christmas season. We have been taking turns attending Stake Choir rehearsals for our Bi-Stake Creche festival and Christmas concert. It was a beautiful event with nearly 150 Nativities displayed and a beautiful concert planned. We were both planning to sing in the choir and we'd also been asked to sing a duet.

The evening began well. We brought along the kids with plenty of snacks and toys. While we rehearsed our old friend, Rick Snow, did a masterful job of keeping the kids busy. We then went to find our babysitter but things didn't go as planned. After a few attempts to find childcare, I went back to the kids and a very nervous BJ. The concert was minutes away from beginning and we were stuck.

I sent BJ on in to sing with the choir and told him I'd stay with the kids and find someone to watch them while I ran in for our duet.

After he left, I sank into a chair, trying to hold back the tears of frustration and disappointment. The choir was large and they didn't really need me, but we had sacrificed many Sunday evenings to rehearse. We'd driven a half hour each way every week to practice, often with the kids in tow past their bedtimes to support good music in our stake. I wanted so much to be able to sing and, in the midst of hundreds of church members, I felt alone. I knew I could drag someone in if I really tried, but I didn't want to bother anyone. Everyone there had come to attend the concert, not babysit. After a busy few weeks of calling in favors and arranging for childcare, I just couldn't bear to ask anyone for yet more help.

The concert was extremely well attended. There were nearly 700 people and there were not 700 chairs set up. So, right before the concert began, priesthood men were sent to every extra room to retrieve chairs. As I was sending BJ off to sing, there were two men picking up chairs in the room we were in. One of them said, "Do you need someone to watch your kids"? I didn't know him and assured him that I would be fine. He left. But, just as I was saying in my heart, "Heavenly Father, I wish we had someone to help us right now" he came back with his beautiful wife. Scott and Julie Hill introduced themselves. Scott, it turns out, is a 2nd year dental student and a friend of BJ's. Julie said to me, "We would be happy to watch your kids tonight. You need to go and sing. I am a nanny and we love kids. It will be a blessing to hear you sing through the speakers while we play with the kids."

I was so very touched. All I could do was hug Julie and choke out a "thank you" before wiping my eyes and running out the door to sing.

We returned an hour later to two cheerful boys and the sweet smiles of Scott and Julie. They assured us that the boys had been great and that they had even played a new game with Benson.

I know that last night, in the midst of a crowd of people busily celebrating the Savior's birth, Heavenly Father sent two servants, angels in fact, to minister to a daughter who was feeling a little forgotten and alone.

I am so grateful for two humble wonderful people who willingly gave up an evening of pleasant enjoyment for one of service. Who answered a small call that made all the difference to me. To me, their smiles were radiant and nothing short of angelic.

I know Heavenly Father is mindful of me and my two boys. That was evidenced to me last night through the actions of others. I was reminded that it is often through others that the Lord meets our needs and answers our prayers. I'm grateful for the Hills' example which has encouraged me to look around more attentively and listen to the Spirit more closely that I might minister too.

7 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh Rachel, this brings tears to my eyes. We have been there many times too! So glad someone came to your rescue. Love you guys!

Christy said...

Is Rick in Kentucky now? Tell him I said hi! And I'm sure your concert was wonderful!

Joann's Hall of Fame said...

Thank you for sharing your miracle. I have been experiencing the same loving tenderness from my Father in Heaven at this season. Who knew that broken transmissions, sickness, and parenting alone for a few days could bring so much joy? . . . Well, Someone did. I hope you have a wonderful Christmas, Rachel and BJ, McKay and Benson!

Bonnie said...

What a lovely Christmas miracle. Thanks for sharing!

WhiteEyebrows said...

Thanks for sharing this. I'm glad you guys keep singing! We feel your pain too, as we used to do a community choir at christmas until Audrey got pregnant - and we really miss having that christmas music in our heads from August through December. Oh well - to everything a season, right?

Vermont 6 said...

My heart is full of gratitude towards that young couple - what I wouldn't give to be near enough to be there for you and those sweet boys during times like these. Thanks for sharing your feelings, it helps us all remember to stop and look around to see who's hands are "hanging down" and to act when we see it. We love you and can't wait to see you this weekend!!!! Yea for Christmas!

Luke and Kate Darby said...

That is such a great story. What a great guy to notice that you needed help and to do something about it. Thanks for sharing, it really helps you remember what Christmas is about.